This page contains the most recent news items, frequently asked questions, media information, meetings dates and calendar of events.
#SafetyTipTuesday: Meridian Township Police - Preventing Vehicle Thefts
#SafetyTipTuesday: Meridian Township Police - Preventing Vehicle Thefts. Car Thieves have become increasingly savvy, using smart keys to steal cars and switching vehicle identification numbers to avoid detection. So, how do you help protect yourself from becoming a victim of car theft? Be vigilant about securing your car and take preventive measures to keep your car safe. Here are a few things you can do to help protect your car from being stolen:
· Lock Your Doors. Keeping your doors locked is the first step in deterring a thief. It’s good to get into the habit of checking your car doors.
· Remove Your Keys from the Vehicle. If your key is in the car, a thief can simply break a window and drive off.
· Don't leave your vehicle running unattended. A running vehicle may be an easy mark for a thief, especially if it is unattended or unlocked.
· Do Not Leave a Spare Key Near Your Vehicle. Take your keys with you when you leave your car.
· Keep your windows closed completely.
· Park in Well-Lit Areas. Avoid parking in areas that are poorly lit or places that are not immediately seen by passers-by.
· Don’t Leave Valuables in Your Car. One way to attract a thief is to leave a purse, cell phone or another high-value item in a highly visible area of your car.
· Be Alert. Be aware of your surroundings when you park your car.